2010/03/14

Another food post

I made another lasagna a few weeks after the last one I posted about. For that one, I went a little more "normal" with it -- a tomato sauce with ricotta and mozzarella (or maybe an "Italian" blend of cheese) on top. Veggies were peppers and onions. Still vegetarian. (It's been years since I've cooked meat. Eat it on occasion still, but haven't cooked any in quite a while.)

Being me, I couldn't just have everything be straight from the container. For the sauce, I used our usual tomato-sauce base -- we never use it straight from the jar as-is -- for a vodka sauce. When I've previously made a vodka sauce, it's been a "cream" sauce ("cream" is in quote b/c I use fat-free dairy instead), but this time I didn't add any dairy to the sauce. (We never drink vodka -- preferring drinks made with rum, and not really drinking much of those to begin with -- but we have gone through one bottle and most of a second since I first made a vodka cream sauce.)

It was apparently a hit. Mark said it was probably the best lasagna I've made to date.

I started preparing parts for tonight's "lasagna" (which is going to be an enchilada torte) before Mark got up, so he woke up to food smells coming from the kitchen. It's good that he thinks they're good ones.

I'm turning that same tomato-sauce base into a mole, and I've seasoned some TVP based on a chorizo recipe. Instead of cheese layers, I'm going to have some refried beans. Veggies will again be peppers and onions.

We'll see how it turns out.

1 comment:

Ev said...

Would love to come visit you & sample your cooking! You are so creative. Did you lemongrass is instrumental in the cancer fight?