2009/12/22

Lasagna the second

Last Sunday I followed up on that plan to do a lasagna (or enchilada torte, as it's the same thing really, just with corn tortillas instead of lasagna noodles) a month with the pumpkin lasagna I was thinking of.

"meat" layer -- dry black beans, soaked and cooked with a little seasoning

veggie layers -- the white part of a bunch of green onions, one large white onion, and a few cloves of garlic, all chopped and sauteed; a red bell pepper, an orange one, and a green one, all chopped and mixed together in a bowl

cheese layer -- a container of fat-free cottage cheese with the green part of the green onions chopped and mixed-in

sauce -- a pumpkin sauce with some freshly chopped sage, a little rosemary, baking spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, mace), rum, pumpkin, fat-free evaporated milk, and a little walnut oil

Only two of the three layers of lasagna had the onion blend, and only two had black beans (because I forgot about them until I'd already done the second layer other than that. I sprinkled some shredded "sharp" cheddar ("sharp" is in quotes, as the yellow shredded stuff is never what I consider sharp, being spoiled by the 4-yr Black Diamond on occasion) over the top, and baked as usual.

It turned out well, especially considering it was an experiment. The cheddar was a good choice, but I think I might add some (or some other sharp or sharp-ish cheese) to the middle layers if/when I do this sort of thing again. The main part of the lasagna was pleasant enough, but was a little soft in its flavors. Anyway, it was liked, and judged a success.

No comments: